Vegan Lasagna Recipe
Out of all the cooked dinner recipes we've made so far, this is by far my favorite! An excellent vegan lasagna that I threw together on my own.
I was looking at recipes online and they all say to add a pinch of salt! Why? A pinch of salt isn't going to do jack! Good recipes don't need salt. Not only does this vegan lasagna leave a healthy fullness in your belly, but it tastes BETTER than that cheese-festive lasagna. It only takes about a little more than an hour to make. What are you waiting for?
Items needed for preparation:
- 9x13 inch Pan
- 2 Big mixing bowls
- 2 Medium sized pots
- 1 Large pot
- 28 oz of whole tomatoes, or your favorite tomato sauce
- 1 14 oz can medium olives
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 8 oz box of lasagna noodles (in this recipe you only use 9 noodle sheets)
- 1 lb of spinach
- 3/4 onion (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 large carrots
- 1 lb FIRM tofu
- Lemon/lime juice to taste
- Herbs added to taste, (I used black pepper, marjoram, ginger, and parsley)
Step 1: If you're using frozen spinach thaw it out completely.
Step 2: Chop the carrots into good size circles, and put them in a pot of water so they're covered, lids make it go a bit faster. This process takes about 20-30 minutes or until they're soft and you can stick your fork in them with absolutely no resistance.
Step 3: Preheat your oven to 375.
Step 4: In a large pot boil enough water to cover the noodles and cook them for about 10 min or until soft.
Step 5: Cut half of the tomatoes into bite size pieces, blend the rest into a purée. Throw all the tomatoes into a pot.
Mince the garlic, and onions and add to your tomato sauce. Add your favorite spices to taste, I used: marjoram, ginger, black pepper, and parsley. I also added about 2 tbsp of lime juice. Turn on the stove to medium heat until it starts to boil, then turn off and let stand.
Step 6: Put the block of tofu into a medium sized bowl. Add your favorite spices. I used 1 tbsp of: black pepper, parsley, ginger, and marjoram. (You can't go wrong with spices .) Mush the tofu and spices together through your fingers until it gets that cottage cheese look.
Step 7: Once the carrotts are done, rinse them with cold water (so you don't burn your hands!) and mush in a seperate bowl with the olives (no olive juice). I added 1 tbsp of lime juice to give it some extra zing.
Step 8: Time for the vegan lasagna layers!
Put a little bit of the tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan, and lay across the noodles covering the bottom completely. The order of the layers is unimportant, you can do them whichever way you want to distribute your veggies. But this is the way I did it:
- First layer: Spread across the carrot olive mesh, and put in about 1/4th of spinach. Add some of the delicious tomato sauce (keep in mind you need to distribute the tomato sauce for 3 layers). Lay across noodles for the next layer.
- 2nd layer: Distribute the tofu herb mix, (leave a couple spoonfuls left for the top layer). Add half of the spinach you have left on top of the tofu. Add some tomato sauce, and lay across the noodles.
- Last layer: Distribute the rest of the spinach, tofu, and tomato sauce on top. Pop it in the oven for 30 minutes. Let it sit for 5, and your delicous, fresh, superb vegan lasagna is ready to be served!
Return from Vegan Lasagna to other Healthy Dinner Recipes